<VV> Corvair Trunks

Jim Simpson simpsonj at verizon.net
Tue Feb 14 21:16:51 EST 2012

We show our car pretty regularly and have solved the trunk problem.  People
usually walk down the line peering at the engines under the open hoods.  Of
course our trunk is open but so as not to disappoint the spectators, we've
"installed" an engine in the front -- a "Hemi" no less.  Of course it's
~1/10th scale plastic model.  But it "operates" with the push of a button
and makes appropriate noises.

We've had more than a few people do a double take when they saw the
"engine" and one or two of them were almost convinced it was real.

To add to the authenticity, we made up a reproduction window sticker with
the "Optional Auxiliary Front Engine" option listed along with all the
other options.  It has an authentic appearing option number and the price
of the model engine.

And then there was the time we were at a show and a three-some of
20-something year olds walked by and commented on how much work we must
have done to transplant the engine to the rear...  (No plastic engine in
the trunk on that occasion.)

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair
'66 Corsa turbo