<VV> Powerglide Transmission Shifting Issues Continued (but getting better)

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Wed Feb 15 11:49:25 EST 2012

Tom,

TLC never hurts.  Especially if you don't have the time/money to rebuild everything.  I had a badly gunked up engine in a beater that I used until terminal rust took over.  I cleaned that engine by changing the oil religiously and adding a detergent oil additive at each change.  The darkbrown/black flakey coating on the valve train gradually softened and disappeared.  A thorough cleaning of the crankcase vent system and the oil changes even freed up the rings enough that it burned less oil than when I bought it.  Today I would have saved it, but $75.00 Corvairs were easy to find back in the late '70s.

Bob