<VV> Tranny in a can --

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Feb 15 16:11:55 EST 2012

I can't think of a situation where an oil additive would extend the life of a transmission that would make it hurt other parts.  If a mechanical failure requires a rebuild no amount of additive is going to get it working again.  Can you think of a situation where your scenario would apply?  Maybe it would encourage people to keep driving in hopes that it would get better with the mystery goop?
It's also rare in my experience with GM transmissions (not including PGs) that you don't have to replace hard parts if you want to do a good job.  350s and 400s were more likely to just need soft parts (seals, clutches, shims, bushings) compared to newer transmissions.  For example - 4L60 and 4L60e transmissions almost always need at least a rear planet and often need a sprag and input shaft as well.

Joel McGregor