<VV> pg rebuild

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Wed Feb 15 16:28:57 EST 2012

Okay, I have not been following this thread.  However, JR's post caught my
eye.  In the mid eighties I had a 79 Chevy van, 350/turbo hydramatic.  One
day it would not go.  I had it towed to what I believed was a reputable
transmission shop.  ( I also believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy, although
I'm a little fuzzy about the Easter Bunny.)  Anyway, they installed a
rebuilt transmission.  A couple of years later the flex plate was cracked
and so I asked a friend of mine who was the service manager at the local
Chevy dealer if he could repair it for me.  He sent me instead to another
transmission shop.  The second shop asked if I would like to have the tranny
serviced at the same time. I said sure.  Later when I picked up the van, he
asked how old the transmission was.  I told him.  He replied, I doubt it.
He took me in the back and showed me the o-rings and seals that he had taken
out.  He compared my old ones to some new ones and it was like holding up a
Cheerio that had been in milk all day next to a new o-ring about the size of
the o-rings on our rocker arm studs.  He thinks the first shop just dumped
the goose juice in and replaced some rubber hoses and maybe the valve
modulator.  He recommended strongly never putting the treatment in the
transmission.  My guess is that there may be other rubber items in there
that can swell to the point that they restrict the flow of oil?  I don't
know, but I've never used the stuff before or since.   BTW, he essentially
rebuilt the transmission for the cost of the servicing, $69.00 New York
dollars.   Never had another minute's trouble with it over the next 4 years.

Cliff Tibbitts

Lexington, KY

66 Monza 140/4 speed