<VV> pg rebuild

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Feb 15 17:21:33 EST 2012

I bought a Wayne Calvert rebuilt 350 from a guy a few years ago.  It came with a Turbo 350 that was "rebuilt" 2500 miles earlier by a shop in Denton that has or had the best reputation in town.  Since it was out anyway I decided to take it apart to see what this shop had done.  It was pathetic.  It needed a total overhaul.  It looked like they replaced a few seals and cleaned it up.  Some of the clutches had lining flaking off like only happens when they are very old.  Others had half the material worn off.  All the bushings were worn out and the pump was in bad shape.  Back when I did transmissions for a living the minimum I would replace would be all clutch fibers and steels, all seals, bushings and bands.  Not to say I never had any trouble but it was always due to a bad part or a mistake on my part not due to putting bad parts back in because they would still work for a little while.  I used to have to source used hard parts from other shops in town and I often got "Why would you ever replace that?  It will still work."  I foolishly always thought that if a shaft has a .010" groove worn into it then it's trash.  I guess that's why I never made much money.
Joel McGregor