<VV> Silver Fox (From FastVair)

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Feb 17 12:21:59 EST 2012

_levair at aol.com_ (mailto:levair at aol.com)  writes:

I last  saw the Silver Fox in 1994 at the Williamsburg VA, convention
autocross,  Seth was driving it. Maybe he will respond.

Warren

The "Silver Fox" was originally built as a College project by Gary Bailey
of Fresno, CA, in the early 70s. It had a modified 140, set mid-engined and
a 65  4-speed transaxle, upside down, I believe, and a modified Spitfire
front  suspension, and a late Corvair rear suspension. It had a polished
aluminum body,  hence the name. Dan and Sandy Cole bought it and brought it to the
San Francisco  Bay Area. Dan and Sandy Autocrossed in SCCA in C/Mod and won
eleven National  Championships in the mid-80s. Dan had converted the car to
a Hewland FT200  transaxle and full formula car rear suspension, stretched
the wheelbase a bit  and bolted on a blower. It was a real handful to drive!
I drove it once with the  Corvair transaxle, normally aspirated, and again
later with the blower and the  Hewland. Dan sold it to a fellow from
Virginia, I believe, in the late 80s or  early 90s. The car was at the Williamsburg
Convention in 1994. The owner and I  both drove it in Specialty class at
the Autocross, Warren LeVeque nipped me by a  few hundredths, as I recall, to
win the Don Yenko award. The car has been out at  a few events since then.
The guys son has been co driving it- on the East coast.  If your event was in
74-75, It could not have been this car. It was being run  regularly in
mid-California at that time. You can see a picture of the car in  Richard
Finch's book: "How to keep your Corvair alive".

Seth Emerson