<VV> ANOTHER TRUNK STORY

Robert Jennings jennirw at cass.net
Fri Feb 17 23:42:39 EST 2012

I have resisted until now - so here goes

In 1962, shortly after I bought my 1st Corvair (a 60 700 sedan) I pulled one
on a young gas station attendant.  This was when the attendants pumped your
gas, washed your windshield and checked your water & oil.  Corvairs will
still new enough that most people had not seen many and a lot of them did
not know the engine was air cooled and in the back.  I had the only one in
town.

I got out of the car and walked into the station, meeting the attendant
coming out.  "Fill her up and check the water & oil"  I said as I walked
past the attendant.  I watched out of the window as he went to the back of
the car looking for the gas filler door.  After searching all over including
trying to swing down the license plate he finally discovered it up front.
Then he went to the front of the car attempting to open the trunk - he saw
the lock and came in and asked me for my key.  Of course I asked him why and
he said that my hood was locked.  That is when I told him the engine was in
the back.  After checking the oil he finally came back in and asked me where
the water was.  I said now you need the key, the windshield washer is up
front in the trunk, the engine is air cooled and does not have a radiator.
I got a kick pulling this gag a number of times.

Robert Jennings

317 Division St

Morenci, MI 49256

517-458-1586