<VV> early defrost tube fix

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sat Feb 18 17:02:18 EST 2012

Smitty Says;   The defrost tube in the forward part of Early convertibles is
made of a fairly thin un coated metal.  Stampings form a duct and route it
through the inner section of the two part rocker assy outboard and up.  It
goes forward to just ahead of the floor vent and then passes through the web
(between the rocker sections) and outboard to form a duct for the defroster
hose.  My beautiful 64 Spyder sat nose down on my sloping driveway for years
when it was my daily driver.  After almost 20 years I decided to restore it
and while doing so found the rot you speak of.  Defroster air was going
directly into the wrong side of the rocker and being lost.  When I start
something I will not listen to "can't be done".  I had to rip into a junk
convertible to see what I was up against.  I cut away the outer rocker from
top to bottom and for 14-18 inches to get at the remains of the ducting.
Had to hand craft all of the bits and pieces and weld everything together.
I promise you it is not for the faint of heart.  Not that I didn't look for
an easy way out while I was in there but realized duplicating the factory
setup was the only answer.  You have my sympathy but you need to find a
metal craftsman to do the job.  One nice thing.  The defroster system puts
out all the dry hot air anyone could ask for.