<VV> Front Disk Brakes

Ed Dowds ed_dowds at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 18 17:23:30 EST 2012

"Could someone share a scan of the parts list and instructions for the
Scarebird front disks kit? Scarebird's web site has 65-69 Corvair in their
index, but nothing comes up when information and instructions are
requested.
Thanks, Wade Halsey"

Wade-
I used their brackets for a friend's Vair front end in a street rod.
Scarebird suggested using 4wd S10 front rotors and 2wd calipers. (Mid 80's to early '90s)
Later I read that you could use late 80s A body fwd (Celebrity, etc.) calipers.
The outer diameter of the Corvair bearing hubs have to be machined for the S10 rotor's center hole
to fit. You may be able to use the stock wheel studs but if you need longer ones '69 Corvette
rear studs are longer and fit correctly.
Their suggestions for brake hoses didn't work out. I would suggest finding a FLAPS with an
illustrated hose catalog.
Be aware that there are/were two designs of their brackets. The first version mounted
the caliper too high and it hit on the upper A arm when the steering was turned all the
way to one side or the other. I called them and they redesigned the mounting lower.
You can tell the difference in the brackets easily: The "correct" one has the upper
caliper mount bolt at the same height as the large spindle hole. I'll attach pictures.
Ed