<VV> Front Disk Brakes

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Feb 18 17:35:55 EST 2012

In a message dated 2/18/2012 11:38:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
hihal6 at gmail.com writes:

Could  someone share a scan of the parts list and instructions for the
Scarebird  front disks kit? Scarebird's web site has 65-69 Corvair in their
index, but  nothing comes up when information and instructions  are
requested.

Thanks, Wade Halsey

Hi, Wade - I have used the Scarebird brackets. I have them on my race car.
I made a few mods and you might or might not want to do this. There are two
 different front spindles on the late Corvair, the difference is the size
and  thread of the upper bolt. On the original drum brakes, that is the
center post  (pivot pin) that the top of the shoes are held against, their
resting  point. The hole for the upper mounting point of the Scarebird bracket
does not  match either of the two bolt sizes needed to retain the bracket. At
least for my  install, the hole in the bracket was too big. In addition, the
area in the  spindle under the bracket is counter-bored a ways down to
better locate the  original pivot pin, since that is the place that all braking
load enters the  spindle. I made a couple of small inserts to press into the
counter-bores  to remove the play and present a shoulder to the Scarebird
bracket. It might not  matter on a street car, but it seemed a bit of a
loose-fit for racing. On my  car, I ordered a pair of the Stainless Steel Brake
Corp twin-piston "Metric"  replacement Calipers. The Scarebird brackets are
designed to match  the GM Metric style. There are lots of sources for these GM
Metric  size calipers, both racing style and street style. The rotor to be
used with these is the S10 4WD rotor 1" thick and 10.5" diameter. In order
to  install that rotor, you will have to make two mods to the stock front
hubs. The  small shoulder that locates the stock drum, usually allowing itself
to rust  solid (!) must be removed, Just trim the little shoulder down to
the same  diameter as the other machined portion. The rotor is a tight fit at
the  center hole, and may, depending on the rotor's countersink, hang on
the drum  centering shoulder. And you will be machining the hub anyway,
because the OD of  the hub it just slightly too bug to allow the rotor to drop
over it. Just  measure the inside of the rotor and cut the hub OD enough to
drop on. I bought  Baer Decelarotor discs, which are both slotted and drilled,
because they were on  sale at the time. There are special fittings available
to convert the end of  your hard lines (an SAE inverted flare) and present
a AN 37 degree male to  allow a stainless steel braided hose assembly to the
banjo fitting on  the caliper. My calipers came with the bolt and the seals
for the banjo fitting,  but not the fitting itself. I mounted my calipers
to the rear of the  spindles.  I use the same calipers and rotors on the back
of the car as  well. If you need a photo or two, let me know.

Seth Emerson