<VV> Dim lights at idle

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 16:38:11 EST 2012

Jim, I'm running a two wire alt system in my em, and the regulator is
adjustable. You may have to drill out the two rivets holding the cover
on, when off, you will find a set of points that creates a charging
circuit when one way, and lowers voltage when the other. As voltage
increases, the magnetic field of the coil underneath the points pulls
the circuit open, so there is a fight between the magnetic pull, and a
spring trying to move the point arm the other way, so at the adjusted
voltage the point spring and magnetic pull cycle in amounts we normally
do not see on a meter, but it's at the correct voltage. You adjust the
voltage up or down by changing the spring tension.
Some have a screw for this, most you bend the arm ..
Your points may have stuck in the charge position. If you can get it
apart, file the point surfaces smooth, the readjust to about 13.5 to 14
volts. Mark Durham

Sent from my Windows Phone