<VV> nitrous and Corvairs (heat problem?)

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 19:43:28 EST 2012

Hiya guys,

This topic came up today over on CorvairForum.com and left me with some
questions.  I don't know much about nitrous setups but I thought using it
on a Corvair would lead to serious heat issues because the engine is air
cooled.  A couple other people replied that the nitrous would have a
cooling effect and work great on a Corvair engine.

Now... I thought the "cooling effect" from nitrous applied only to the
intake air charge, and that the resulting improved combustion would
generate more combustion chamber heat which would lead very quickly to
overheated heads.

If I'm wrong here I'll be very happy to hear it, as someone over there
stated NOS would be a fantastic way to make up for turbo lag on a turbo
Corvair,  it'd be great to have a nitrous system that works up until the
boost comes in, then stops once the boost hits a certain point.  I'd LOVE
to do something like this on my turbo Corsa project car if it is viable.  A
turbo engine (lower compression) would be an ideal NOS candidate if I'm not
mistaken, as long as you don't have the NOS and turbo boost working at the
same time.

I guess my question then is two-fold...  On an "ordinary" Corvair engine
would NOS overheat the engine?  On a turbo Corvair engine could you use NOS
only when there is little or no boost from the turbo without ill effect?
 I'm not talking crazy huge amounts of it.

Thanks

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA