<VV> nitrous and Corvairs (heat problem?)

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Feb 22 20:00:41 EST 2012

I'm no nitrous expert but you are correct about it only cooling the intake charge.  If it cooled the combustion process it would make less power not more.  Heat is where the power comes from.  The main reason it shouldn't be a problem is the limited amount of time you run it.  As far as I know a turbo Corvair without nitrous will have a meltdown if you run it at full boost for an extended period of time.  Using nitrous to overcome turbo lag used to be a common practice and may still be.  The short shot you would be running shouldn't add significantly to your heat load.  If you are using it to make up for turbo lag you wouldn't be using huge quantities otherwise your power would fall off when the boost came up.  (more nitrous power than turbo power)
Joel McGregor