<VV> nitrous and Corvairs (heat problem?)

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Feb 22 20:01:11 EST 2012

At 07:43 PM 2/22/2012, Ramon Rodriguez III wrote:
>Hiya guys,
>
>This topic came up today over on CorvairForum.com and left me with some
>questions.  I don't know much about nitrous setups but I thought using it
>on a Corvair would lead to serious heat issues because the engine is air
>cooled.  A couple other people replied that the nitrous would have a
>cooling effect and work great on a Corvair engine.

Uh...    ?

>Now... I thought the "cooling effect" from nitrous applied only to the
>intake air charge, and that the resulting improved combustion would
>generate more combustion chamber heat which would lead very quickly to
>overheated heads.

Yep.   Big time.

>If I'm wrong here I'll be very happy to hear it, as someone over there
>stated NOS would be a fantastic way to make up for turbo lag on a turbo
>Corvair,  it'd be great to have a nitrous system that works up until the
>boost comes in, then stops once the boost hits a certain point.  I'd LOVE
>to do something like this on my turbo Corsa project car if it is viable.  A
>turbo engine (lower compression) would be an ideal NOS candidate if I'm not
>mistaken, as long as you don't have the NOS and turbo boost working at the
>same time.

For sake of mention:   I'm not a fan of nitrous at all.   I've seen
too much bad result from it than good.  The people I've seen using it
always seem to be inside their engines far too often to suit
me.  It's not very controllable and mixtures get VERY critical once
you begin playing with it.   And if it's ahead of a turbocharger and
you make a small mistake you can very easily destroy a lot of stuff.

>I guess my question then is two-fold...  On an "ordinary" Corvair engine
>would NOS overheat the engine?

When pressed, yep.  Fast.

>On a turbo Corvair engine could you use NOS
>only when there is little or no boost from the turbo without ill effect?
>  I'm not talking crazy huge amounts of it.

I'd NEVER use it with any sort of forced induction.   Intake
explosions run rampant as it is with NOS.  Pressurizing the stuff
would be simply asking for a destroyed engine.

Just my opinion...

tony..