<VV> hot motor oil

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 20:07:09 EST 2012

Since the motor oil topic came up again I have a question concerning oil when it
gets hot(engine running temp Corvair).  A few years back I made a 1000 mi. round
trip to Helen Ga show.  The engine did not use excessive oil, maybe a qt. in 400
mi.  I was told Mobil 1 was the way to go, so changed to MObil 1 before the
trip.  Used about 8 qts round trip.  A Mobil(expert) tells me that the oil is
thin as water and runs right through the engine.  My thought is that any oil is
thin at engine temp.  Changed back to 10W40 Quaker ST. and did not have usage
problem.  Any thoughts on this situation?
By the way, everyone(almost) used STP back in the 60's and did you ever take an
engine apart that had been using it?  I've taken pans off that were covered with
1/2 inch of sludge.  I 'm told that was from STP and other additives.  Not sure,
but know what I've seen.
Ken C

Ken  400 miles per qt is excessive!  Your piston rings are worn..even if no smoke is visible.

Normal is well over 1,000 miles.

Then.. saying  "Mobil 1"  means nothing...  it's the weight /s  of the oil

had you used 10w40 M1... it would /should  be the same...

Regardless of what is "Best"  for our engines...

When rings are worn.. thicker is better..

I remember   Joe C.  consuming 15 qts'  from Mich. to Fla...  5w30

Told him to  start adding 20w50....  only 5 qts. on the way back..  no more smoke...

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Patio
http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages