<VV> hot motor oil

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Jan 4 22:28:07 EST 2012

Depends on the comparison. I do agree that 400 mi per quart is a sign of
worn parts. But excessive? You've been driving new cars too long (or
freshly built Corvairs). Most every car  I drove until I bought used
cars built in the 90's used that much oil. The worst was a 50 Studebaker
Champion  with unknown miles (owner said way over 200k but hey it was
only $25.00) that got 50 miles per quart of ND  40wt! Drove it as a
second car for a year and sold it for $100. My dad couldn't believe I
found a buyer...

400 Miles per quart is not my "need to rebuild" point. But neither would
I run synthetic oil at that consumption rate.

Frank DuVal