<VV> STP and the Scerwdriver

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Thu Jan 5 00:00:43 EST 2012

Smitty Says;  I am not an oil engineer and because of the years since I was
in the school I am not even sure of the terminology.  Nor am I sure of the
application.  But here goes.  When I worked for Philips 66 we who were even
remotely involved in sales had to go to schools on the properties of oils so
we could sound half smart when talking to customers.  There is a thing
called dynamic barrier when oil is pumped between flat bearings and
crankshafts.  It keeps the metals separated when pressure is applied to
press them together.  If oil too light in viscosity is used the oil will
extrude out from between the metals and galling will occur.  If oil too
heavy in viscosity is used the dynamic barrier will rip or pull apart and
again you will have metal to metal contact.  There is actually a big wide
range of viscosity that can be satisfactory but naturally the engineers will
specify a median viscosity to provide protection under high and low heat
operating conditions.
STP is a viscosity improver and in it's unmixed state is very thick and
slick feeling.  Slick, not necessarily because it is such a superior oil ,
but because at low speeds of relative motion its thickness of barrier
provides contact prevention between two components.  It might make a heck of
a lubricant in a differential but in an engine at 7,000 rpm bearing life
would be very marginal.  The point being that there is a lubricant for every
application and there is often a fine line between what you can and can not
get away with.
Which brings us back to screwdrivers.  When you wet a screwdriver bit with
STP and then try to hold on to it, chances are you will use the same fingers
you tried with the conventional oil.  Chances are you will be holding on
(pinching) just about the same tightness.  The regular oil with a viscosity
of probably 10 to 40 extruded out from under your fingers and allowed skin
and fingerprint contact with the screwdriver.  What's the viscosity of STP?
100- 120-150?  I don't know but it is going to take a lot longer to squeeze
it out for the same skin and fingerprint contact you had with the oil.
Chances are your fingers will get tired and your grip will weaken before
that happens.  In any event, the holding up a screwdriver with STP in your
fingers proves absolutely nothing.
So maybe I am all wet about all this.  I just hate snake oil salesmen