<VV> hot motor oil

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Jan 6 07:32:14 EST 2012

At 12:02 AM 1/6/2012, Matt Nall wrote:

>tests show that the strands in synthetics do not break down in
>use like the Dino oils do. there are tests where engines in new York
>cabs, which are rarely turned off, go 150,000 or more and never change
>the full synthetic oil, just filter changes and a top off. Google them
>and read! Mark Durham

>No question Syns are superior... I've never doubted that....   just
>not necessary in our 1950's  design...
>

>The question was about viscosity...  Ken  relates what says that
>10w40  syn is THINNER  at temp?
>

>Why he used  so much compared to Dino 10w40
>

>Nothing about longevity or  lube qualities...  we know those are superior.

...which still brings us back to the fact that there are still
Corvairs running around with original engines that never saw
synthetic oil and the youngest of them is more than 4 decades
old.  They did it with dino oil that, when the Corvair was still a
young car, had nowhere near the qualities of today's budget priced
engine oils from K-Mart, much less top shelf dino oils.   Add to this
fact that Corvairs are a bit rougher on engine oils than water cooled
cars of the day ever were.

As long as the oil's film prevents metal-metal contact, it's doing
its job whether it's Mobile-1 or left-over Wesson oil, like that
stunt the Marines pulled in the Pacific with a C-47 that got shot up
and force-landed on a remote outpost island, one engine's oil tank
(radial engines are dry-sump) perforated, no engine oil available,
just cooking oil from the Marine mess hall so that's what went into
the C-47's oil tank after repairs and they flew it from some remote
Pacific isle to the Philippines.

tony..