<VV> Pump Your Own (was: Filling tank)

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Sat Jan 7 11:14:29 EST 2012

On 1/7/2012 10:58 AM, FrankCB at aol.com wrote:
> And in New Jersey where we're not allowed to pump our own gas.

And thank goodness.  I have no desire to be pumping my own gas in cold
and/or wet weather, when I am wearing nice clothes, when I am en route
to a meeting or appointment, and so on.  A person who has a job will do
it for me.

But here in NJ the gas jockeys are not dumb.  They recognize collector
cars and will more often than not let the owner pump his or her own gas
because they know the owner is fussy.  Typically they'll "supervise,"
setting the pump, taking the nozzle off the hanger and handing it to
you, and watching to ensure that you're not a total moron.

Oftentimes today the pump jockey is a recent immigrant with limited
English skills.  No problemo -- I simply raise my index finger in the
universally-recognized "just a moment" gesture, and they will hand me
the nozzle.  They can see that my Corvair is not a run-of-the-mill Corolla.

It's a perfect arrangement.  They pump the gas into my modern car while
I stay comfortable and dry, and they'll let me pump gas into the Corvairs.

--Bob "neighbor of Frank" Marlow