<VV> Making Necessary Repairs

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Mon Jan 9 15:35:05 EST 2012

Smitty Says;  One thing you can always count on in this forum is that if any
small portion of a guys post can be taken out of context, someone will do it
and all but try to make a liar out of the original postee.We who have been
around these Vairs for a year or two know that there are 90+ point cars in
concours that likely would not be reliable on a long trip.  There are others
such as Bill Hubbell's Glenn convertible that came to a stop with the
mechanical restoration and a new top, but I would feel comfortable with
driving almost anywhere.  It's a beautiful 60 footer.  There isn't a man on
the forum that would restore a Corvair mechanically and put his reputation
on the line that the car would go 1,000 miles trouble free.  That's why new
cars have warranties.  A guy like me who enjoys jerking another's chain from
time to time can't afford a thin skin.  But on the other hand it bothers me
that people who take things out of context are so opinionated sometimes.  I
don't feel that anyone who has not taken their Corvair coast to coast in the
hot months of summer has a right to take up space with his opinion on how to
do the job.  That includes what spares to carry, what handcleaner to use,
and the tools one might need.  Everyone has an opinion and the right to
express it.  Mine is that if you ain't walked the walk then don't talk the
talk.