<VV> Early Rear Bearings

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Jan 9 21:16:25 EST 2012

At 02:06 PM 1/8/2012, Mike McCrae wrote:
>I can tell that none, or at least not many of
>you have pulled a rear early wheel bearing.

I have.   Several of them.  I also pressed them back on again.

>Even with the special  after market “cage”
>which I am fortunate enough to own, some bearing
>races are so galled on the axle that they will
>not come off the axle, even with 20,000lb+
>presses when you get to that point you start to see the axle shaft bend.

The right puller isn't going to bend the axle.

>Yes, some are plain and simple throwaways at
>that point. If you push a bearing like that
>further, you risk the bearing exploding in your
>face with serious bodily harm to you.

The right puller engages the inner race without
stressing anything that could shatter.  No
worries about the bearing exploding, particularly
since the right puller is the one that removes
the bearing so you can clean and correctly repack it and reinstall it.

>My advice is to carry a known axle with a known bearing,

Not a bad idea at all.   Also a spare yoke... for
obvious reasons (and not for spline wear).   My
'60 never leaves town without a tool kit and a
spare axle in it.  That way I know I'll never
need either... nor any other of the spares in the box in the trunk.

...except to offer up to another 'Vair in the
convoy suffering from road attrition, been there done that.

tony..