<VV> 7 lap races, theMitty and the SCCA

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Wed Jan 11 06:47:47 EST 2012

  I love the Mitty!

  As Mikey says, there is no venue where we get the type of exposure that the Walter Mitty Challenge event provides.
  Also not only is the crowd bigger, they are more knowledgeable and appreciative about Corvairs and race cars in general.
  They actually get excited to see colorful race prepared Corvairs!
  It is a great atmosphere and being there with like minded Corvair family it's better than a family reunion!
  This years event as it relates to Corvairs will be historic! We may never get an equivalent assemblage of Corvair race cars and attendant personalities and heroes like this ever again. As we know all too well "we ain't gettin any younger" so
  now is the time, tomorrow you might be pushing up granite!

  Besides the Mitty I run a few select SCCA races. I have no chance to win but that is not my goal. Having a good time with friends is. I like the Carolina Motorsports track in Kershaw, SC mostly because they put on a good show and treat you right plus, its not too far from Corvair Alley. I hope to give VIR another try. There are tons of vintage events around. I like the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix race held at the BeaveRun track in Wampum, PA where we have had several Corvair time trials.
  Again as Mike says, you can always find someone to race with. I have passed a few "Porches" and there is only one other sensation like that but, this is a family forum so I'll let you figure out what that is! GG!

  We like to see as many fans at the Mitty as possible so, come on down and join us on April 27-29, 2012 and have some fun!

  Rick Norris
  #36 Sunoco Corvair
  www.corvairalley.com

  2009 was the only year I remember that the races were 7 laps.We had rain and in group two you had the Aston Martin wheel incident. I spun and got stuck in the pea gravel and screwed up that race in 2010. The Mitty isnt for everyone. I left SCCA after the McIntosh Car era and went IMSA racing we were so pissed at SCCA. HSR likes us,SVRA personally came and invited me to race with them. VDSCA welcomes us and the VDCA I think will come to like me.
  I dont think there is much future in racing a Corvair in SCCA unless its in SPU. I will be totally outclassed in SPO but im sure I can find an A sedan to play with in my group.
  Drink the Beer,eat their Food,look at the Miata Cup Playboy girls,race your car,beat a porche,what else is there! Norman will have his new Puppy.  Mike