<VV> Fan belt clearance

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Jan 12 23:25:09 EST 2012

Mark, the needed fan belt clearance is between the harmonic balancer and
the bracket. Not between the bracket and the engine mount or rear panel.
It matters not where the engine sits in the bay for changing a fan belt
(within reason...). Unless it is so far aft the fan belt in under the
rear body panel.

Adding or removing transmission shims will not change the distance
between the crankshaft and the bracket that bolts to the crankcase.
Adding washers between the crankcase and the bracket will increase this
distance.

If you are running an engine without a harmonic balancer, there is no
issue, you have what GM built.

Frank DuVal