<VV> 140 with a single 4 bbl.

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jan 15 19:52:48 EST 2012

Tom - There were two different multi-part manifolds made for the center
mount Corvair conversions, the IECO was designed for a small Carter AFB
4-barrel  and had the narrower bolt pattern for the carb. The Edelbrock manifold
had  a wider bolt pattern - Indeed, some had both patterns. If your 390
Holley bolts  directly to the manifold - not using any kind of adapter, you have
the wider  bolt pattern. Some models of Carters had dual patterns as well.
The  Edelbrock carb is really a copy/re-design of the old Carter AFB. If  the
bolt pattern is different, there are lots of thin adapter plates
available. I think the Edelbrock uses the same secondary throttle plates  inside the
air flow of the secondary air inlets. Until the airflow through  the primary
barrels passes a certain point, the secondary bores handle almost no  air
flow, so I think you are safe with the 500. You will likely have a fuel hose
connection change, be sure to use very good quality fuel hose. If your
linkage  is okay now, it will probably be okay with the new setup. I know in
Florida you  may not need much of a choke, but the 1960 models had a neat feed
to  the choke that might work well on a 4-barrel system. Check out the 60
model for the idea.

Seth Emerson

In a message dated 1/15/2012 12:05:27 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,