<VV> Thermostat Mod

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Fri Jan 20 12:15:16 EST 2012

Smitty Says:  Maybe 20 years ago someone wrote a tech tip, either to the
Communique or to a newsletter we were exchanging with.  It takes a little
time but has paid off over and over through the years for me on two Vairs I
still own because I remove the manifold shrouds annually for racing and for
towing.
Remove the shrouds and drill out the rivets holding the thermostat brackets.
Secure the sheet metal heat deflector to the bracket with a small rivet.
(just enough to keep them together).  Drill and tap the rivet holes for 1/4
x 20 bolts.  Slot the holes in the manifold covers a quarter inch wide and
about a half inch fore and aft.  Screw the thermostats onto the rods and
hook the swivels to the doors.  Position (rotate) the thermostats so the
mating surface is down and lift the pan up under them.  Secure pan with one
bolt till you are done.  Hold the door closed,  Use an icepick from
underneath to position the thermostat to where you can start a washer head
bolt into the bracket.  Put the other bolt in.  Slide the thermostat (by
sliding the bolts) to where it holds the door closed and tighten the bolts.
Put the rest of the bolts in the pan.
Presto, changeo, no more trying to see around the pan while hooking up the
rod.  No more fumbling around with rods or wires through the grill to hook
up the swivel.  No more over extended thermostats from improper adjustment.