<VV> 3-speed gearbox

chuck mckinley cmckinley313 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 24 10:12:12 EST 2012

Friends,
	Last week I drove my '63 Monza about 140 miles at a steady 60 mph, and
after about 125 miles, it suddenly popped out of top gear. No big deal,
I shoved it back in gear and continued on, but that's the first time
it's ever happened. On the trip, I became aware of a certain low level
of gear whine, that stopped when it popped out of gear. That was the
first time I'd noticed it (because of the fact that it went away when it
popped out of gear, duh), and I wondered if either or both of those
items are characteristic of the 3-speed tranny. Popping out of gear on
rare occasions doesn't bother me too much (or should I be worried?) I
recall that the 5th gear on 5-speed boxes on mid-80s Toyota Corollas
characteristically started popping out of gear after 100,000 miles or
so, and you had to drive with your hand restraining the shifter if you
wanted the overdrive, or just use 4th gear. I griped about that to
Toyota but they never admitted to a flaw, even though I knew any number
of other Corolla owners who had experienced the same failure pattern.
	FYI, I'd topped up the lube levels in both the tranny and the
differential before the trip last week, so I don't think oil levels were
a problem.
	Comments are welcome, as always.

Chuck McKinley
'63 Monza 900 coupe 80 hp 3-speed

--
The Universe is composed entirely of gravity, hydrogen, and stupidity.