<VV> Powerglide Transmission Shifting Issues

Tom Hughes corvairdad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 09:12:26 EST 2012

This is getting REALLY frustrating! I've installed the missing e-clip,
put everything back together, poured in $20+ of ATF, and it still
won't automatically upshift. During last night's test drive, I was
able to get it to go into Drive by accelerating to over 30 mph, movng
the shifter into N, then back into D. This worked a few times, and
another couple times, I had to repeat the N then D sequence before it
would shift. Then, if it was in D, anything more than feathering the
throttle would cause it to downshift back into L.

I guess it's possible the e-clip popped back off, but I'm thinking
it's a bad pump.

Regardless, I'm at the point of dropping the drivetrain and replacing
the PG with one that hasn't operated for 30+ years. There's still
fluid in the replacement, but probably not much. The pan is off, but
otherwise the tranny's intact. In addition to pulling the valve body
and thoroughly cleaning all those parts, what else should I do to
maximize my chance for success?

--
Tom in Baltimore
corvairfleet.blogspot.com