<VV> BILL DEVECKA

lonwall@corvairunderground.com corvairs at pacifier.com
Thu Jan 26 16:04:28 EST 2012

We've lost another fine Corvair friend.   Curt Vollstedt just called me
this morning to let me know that Bill Deveka of Bend Oregon has passed away.

Bill was/owned Devecka machine who many of us knew as probably the
finest Corvair machine shop in the country. Because Bill was such a
quiet, humble guy most of us were unaware of his amazing past.

Bill Devecka and Rolla Vollstedt went to High School together and after
WW II went on to distinguishing carrers in Indy racing. Everyone
probably remembers Vollstedt who built and supported several Indy cars,
including the first lady to race there. But Bill was making a name for
himself as well. For a time after WWII he was the most respected
machinist on the cucuit.

A visit to Vollstedts places shows many pictures on the wall of the
racing days and a lot of them show Bill and his accomplishments.

Every time I saw Bill it's like he never got any older. But at 93 or 94
we knew that one of these he'd take a turn and be gone. The last time i
saw him was just a few months back and he told me he was still doing
headork for folks!

We'll all miss Bill -

Lon Wall