<VV> Sealing fuel line joints

Joel McGregor joelsplace at earthling.net
Thu Jan 26 18:33:19 EST 2012

If a fitting seals by the threads then teflon tape is fine.  The flare nuts on the ends of the fuel lines seal at the flare so the tape shouldn't do anything.  It won't hurt.  The fittings at the pump that the lines screw into can use tape between the fitting and the pump.  I use tape on them.
Joel McGregor

Subject: <VV> Sealing fuel line joints

After doing a major tuneup the last couple days, I discovered that I had
small gas leaks at almost all the joints between the pump and the carbs.
I tried just tightening the bejabbers out of the fittings, but still had
very small leaks in a couple places, so I tore everything apart again
and put teflon tape on the threads, a la natural gas lines. Voila - no
leaks, but now I'm concerned that the combination of teflon tape and
auto gas might be unsafe or otherwise a bad idea, since I've never seen
it mentioned in any of the manuals or how-to-do-it guides. It sure was
an easy and effective fix, so I hope I can leave it alone.
Your thoughts and comments are welcome as always.

Chuck McKinley