<VV> Electric cooling fan testing

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Mon Jul 2 14:59:36 EDT 2012

Well, electric cooling-fan testing season has begun in earnest, here in the
Midwest, since we now have some good, hot, California-type weather to work
with!

On Saturday, I did a baseline run around a fairly loose country driving
circuit, speeds between 40 and 60, about 25 miles in 90F ambient and found
that the head temps are quite flat, mostly about 360F. Oil temps appear to
level out at 245F.

Remember, this is all with the pressure duct connected to the nose. At some
point, I will be closing off the pressure feed and re-opening the top fan
cover on the engine. This will give a range of temps that would represent a
normal Corvair engine compartment, with the open fan pulling from the
center. The final tests will be with the fan shut off at higher speeds,
relying just on the ram air in the duct for cooling. Comparing temps at
70mph, with and without the fan, etc.

But I'd like to record the actual driving readout with basically the same
equipment as was used for the first series of flat-fan tests. Can anyone
advise what equipment was used and if it's available for a second set of
tests? The graphs that were produced were very informative.

I believe this set of tests will show a better set of figures than the flat
fan had. It would be great if the equipment was the same, to reduce the
chance of error due to any miscalibration.

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Mel Francis
Oconomowoc, WI