<VV> voltage regulator questions (EM)

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Jul 10 23:19:14 EDT 2012

Most of the time the points in the regulator corrode or tarnish while
sitting. You clean them with clean white paper. Drag it through the
contacts while applying slight pressure. Apply too much pressure, and
you change the regulator settings. Usually recoverable up to the point
where you bend something. Note the contacts may be on both the top and
bottom of the moveable contact.

Stay away from sandpaper unless the corrosion is really bad. you just
want to shine the contacts, not remove the surface coating. Card stock,
notebook paper, try all white paper products you may have lying around.
What have you got to loose? It doesn't work now....

Read the applicable section in the shop manual. It usually covers
cleaning and adjusting.

Corrosion on the springs shouldn't be an issue. Just spray with contact
cleaner, alcohol, WD-40...  Keep WD-40 and other oily products off the
contacts. It just causes trouble since the contacts don't close fully in
some operating situations.

jvh answered the condenser question.

Frank DuVal