<VV> Help - Convention Attendance at Risk!

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 15:48:17 EDT 2012

Jeff,

I've had the same problem only once and it was caused by fuel starvation due to rust in the tank--but you've already taken care of those things and your filters are clean so I'd lean to electrical unless you are getting a hot blue spark at the spark plugs after the engine has been warmed up.  Better still, check for a hot blue spark at the plugs after it acts up when hot.

I recommend checking it at night as have others for suspicious arcs.  My mother had a '72 Bel Air 400 V8 back in the day that would intermittedly miss very badly--so badly that it would sometimes stall under hard acceleration.  She spent a lot of money at the Chevrolet dealers until I found the problem on a very cloudy day.  I spotted a spark on the passenger side of the engine.  It was the rusty "stove" riveted to the right exhaust manifold that had dropped down to hang just above the big bolt on the starter where the battery cable was connected.  It would periodically get close enough to short to the block.  I replaced it and the problem went away.  Yours will too once you find it.

Goodluck,
Bob