<VV> Help - Convention Attendance at Risk!

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Wed Jul 11 10:17:09 EDT 2012

Jeff,

I had a very similar problem as yours with my '66 Monza 110/pg.  It would
run fine until it got warmed up, then it would cough and bog when I tried
to accelerate.  The bogging occurred when I was traveling at speeds in the
40+ range.  If I accelerated gingerly (eg 1/2 throttle or less), everything
was fine.  Everything was also fine when just cruising around town.  Like
you, I replaced everything (well, maybe not quite as much as you).  In the
end, the problem turned out to be electrical.  It was the plug wires that I
thought I'd replaced, but found still stashed away in the Clark's box they
came in.

Please don't interpret this as saying it's your plug wires, but look for a
possible electrical cause (don't give up on fuel related possibilities).
 My best diagnosis of my situation is that the wires (they were original)
began "leaking" when warm or they opened up.  I should have, but did not,
raise the engine lid on a dark night after the car was warmed up and the
problem appeared.  This might have revealed a corona around the leaking
area.  Of course the leaking could have been occurring under the top shroud
or the internal resistance could have gone way up.  Give the dark night
test a try and see what you find.  Have a friend rev the engine while you
watch.

If you don't see anything, have a Corona (w/lime) and think of a different
approach.

Dave Keillor

--
Dave Keillor