<VV> Help - Convention Attendance at Risk!

Bob Gilbert corvairbob at bresnan.net
Wed Jul 11 10:53:44 EDT 2012

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem made worse by heat. No accereration at
operating temp. Is there a good healthy squirt of fuel from the accelerator
pump discharge.

What I do to locate a low fuel pressure and volume (pluged in tank fuel
strainer) is to have the car at operating temp. Five minutes. Then
disconnect the fuel delivery line to a carb, put a hose on it andcarefully
( we don't want a fire ) have some one start the engine and watch the fuel
squirt into a container. If you get a few squirts aten it dribbles then you
know that the problem is in the fuel system. If you get dribbles then to
find the exact problem isolate each connection to find the problem. I
reconnect the fuel system, run for a minute to refill the carbs, then
resetup the fuel discharge into a container and then hook a hose in a fuel
can to the inlet of the fuel pump. recheck for the squirts and dribbles. If
every thing is now OK then the pump is fine. I then redo this test procedure
for every connection. The point of change and the last point has a problem.
If every thing is OK at the gas tank connection then the problem is in the
tank usually the fuel sock. This has worked for me lots of times. GM
products were the worst with the sock in the tank but all makes had this
problem to a lesser extent. If this is not clear ask questions and I will
attempt to make it clearer.