<VV> Quaker State "Defy" Oil

Bob Tarpenning bobtcars at wildblue.net
Thu Jul 12 17:36:36 EDT 2012

So what kind of oil do you use?
Bob T

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:01 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Quaker State "Defy" Oil

Hi Folks,

There have been lots of comments regarding "Defy" oil and oil  in general.
Comments range from, "The additives are  close enough for an engine that is
already broken in." to "We haven't seen all  that many tappet failures."
implying that if there haven't been many failures,  any old oil is OK.

Neither of these positions are credible.  First, Defy is  new and I doubt we
have any success or failure stories yet.  How close does  "close enough"
need to be?  Second, the "We haven't seen that many tappet  failures"
position is silly.  The logic that if there haven't been many  failures
indicates any oil is OK is backwards.  More likely is that there  have been
few failures BECAUSE Corvair owners don't use any old oil.  The  additive
content of oils is an ongoing thread on VV and most people know which  types
of oils to use.  We are a frugal bunch but there are many oils out  there
that are quite cheap (oops, I mean inexpensive) and still have the
additives we need.

Here is the logic.

1.  What is the price difference between Defy or  modern "green" oil and
other oils with proper additives?  I don't know  the cost of Defy but the
difference probably is not much, if any.

2.  What is the cost of a rebuilt engine with new cam and  lifters required?
With metal particles floating around, you might need new  bearings, rings,
bored cylinders, reground crank, etc.  The cost is a lot  especially if you
can't do the work yourself.  More important, the cost is  HUGE if it can be
avoided.

3.  You don't need to do the math to know that even if  you assume that
there is little risk with Defy oil, it isn't worth the risk to  your engine.

4.  Conclusion-  Use oil you KNOW is safe to  use.  We're talking about
nickels and dimes here folks.

Personally, I do not skimp on my oil.  I do not want  to worry about
something critical being marginal.  Here is my mental test  for doing
something one way or another ..... "If doing something the cheap way  or
taking a shortcut leads to failure, will I look back and regret not doing it
the right way?"  In almost all cases, I would kick myself in the butt after
the fact for
not using quality "stuff" or taking extra care up-front.   There are many
platitudes but one comes to mind.  "Why do we never have the  time or money
to do it right the first time but always have the time or money to  do it
over?"

Just my opinion,

Doc

PS:  I edited out all of Bryan's text except what I felt  was the most
important point.

In a message dated 7/12/2012 4:08:36 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  8