<VV> Quaker State "Defy" Oil

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Thu Jul 12 18:06:20 EDT 2012

Bob,

I use full synthetic in all my vehicles that are broken in.  Usually  Mobil
1 with the proper additives.  I believe that only the heavier weights  have
the proper additives these days but I have many cases of old oil I got on a
 deal.  It doesn't go bad.  When buying for your old cars, ALWAYS make
sure that the proper additives are in there.  Some manufacturers will  change
the mix and keep the same basic label with only the starburst  changed.  This
is especially the case with the private label and off-brand  stuff.  I
doubt you can go online for most of the private label stuff and  find what is
actually in it.  At least, I wouldn't trust that it is  up-to-date info.

With a new rebuild, there are varied opinions expressed as to what oil or
series of oils to use.  This mostly has to do with detergent vs.
non-detergent oils.  I may look into this further for upcoming  rebuilds.  What I have
done in the past and probably the future, is use  regular "dino" oil with
proper additives for the break-in period because  synthetic oil is too
slippery and the break-in takes forever.  Also, "dino:  oil is cheaper and why use
synthetic oil at a higher price when there is no  technical benefit?  Once
the break-in is complete, I switch to synthetic  oil.

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968 Camaro  ragtop

In a message dated 7/12/2012 2:37:14 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,