<VV> tire rotation--Chevy's recommended and then and now

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sat Jul 14 12:13:11 EDT 2012

Bill,
I'd say you were right for today and today's cars.  My point of  bringing
it up was that Chevy changed their rotation recommendation in '68 (and  maybe
'69 Owner's Manuals were the same).  For the Corvair they said to buy
tires in sets of two and install them on the back.  Prior to this they
recommended standard rotation patterns the same as other Chevys.  This was  when
bias ply tires were the norm and radials weren't that common nor as good as
they are today.  My then new '68 got about 12,000 miles on  the back bias ply
tires at 30 psi--they do a lot more work back  there--especially the way I
was driving.
If the fronts are inflated to the four or so pounds higher than  Chevy's
stock 15 psi recommendations to, say, the 20 pounds I used then  they had
little wear.  Back then the original equipment Uniroyals on the  front started
to crack after the first two sets of new back tires.  So new  tires went on
the front and were rotated back as a set because they were hardly  worn after
over thirty thousand miles.  When we were driving our Corvairs  daily (on
longer-wearing modern radial tires) I swapped them as sets  at between 5,000
and 10,000 miles--front to back and back to front.

Bob

In a message dated 7/13/2012 10:18:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lechevrier at q.com writes:

>  just replace them two at a time with the new tires starting at the
front.

Maybe that was 1968 advice, but no longer is preferred or  recommended --
new tires go on the back.  Numerous references online  and in our own
archives.

65# is plenty tight for those little  Corvair wheel studs

Bill  Strickland