<VV> 90 degree cooling fans

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Sun Jul 15 10:36:34 EDT 2012

Harry,
Sounds like the way the Franklin was cooled, a large fan on the end of the
crankshaft. The early Franklin engineers found you can get a better
(larger-  more uniform) cooling done by "sucking" the air past something. If you
"blow"  the air through what you want cooled it will only cool what the fan is
pointed  at. They figured a fan sucking air over something may cool more
with less... at  least according to an old book I have from 1920, "Everyman's
Guide To Automobile  Care & Maintenence"...
Keep in mind they were dealing with inline six  engines (and later an
almost 400 cubic inch V12).
Later,
Lonzo

In a message dated 7/14/2012 2:05:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,