<VV> Motor oil shear strenght comparisons - a good article

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Thu Jul 19 12:07:39 EDT 2012

I would guess the Quaker State people are fudging on what "new oil standards" means.  After seeing tests on used oils I would have to call BS on QS's claim.  If it has any truth to it I would like to see their before and after tests.
>From totally unscientific observation of used oil I've never seen any used oil that was as thick as the oil when it was new unless it had been run WAY too long and then some started to sludge.
If we want to talk about how long people run oil with no problems I can give you a silly put true example.  One side of my family ran a farm while I was growing up.  They would always buy new cars/trucks when they hit about 100k miles.  They NEVER changed the oil.  They always put oil in when needed but didn't bother to change it since they figured they weren't keeping the vehicle anyway.  They never had any trouble.  The poor victims that got those cars later had worn out engines I'm sure.  I inherited a Caprice from them but luckily it "only" had 40k on it when I got it.  I've also seen what engines look like inside that haven't had the oil changed.  One Caprice that didn't get regular oil changes (if any) spun a rod bearing (or bearings) because the oil drain holes from the heads were clogged up from sludge.  The sludge was almost an inch and a half thick in that engine before it died.  The interesting part is that the cam was still fine and it ran fine with no smoke right up until the lack of oil killed it.  The oil pressure light started coming on at whatever RPM corresponded to around 110mph in that car and the bearings failed in short order.  It made quite a few 10-15 mile wide open runs before that happened.
What all of this means is that there is no way for us to know how long an oil is good without some very thorough scientific testing.
I used to run the house brand WalMart oil and just change it every 1500 miles.  I didn't have any problems but I wouldn't bet that I did my engines any good either.
You are absolutely correct in that for pressures to be meaningful we would need some numbers from our engine environment.  That would tell us if the numbers that the Mobil1 showed in the test are a problem.  I was always under the assumption that the main advantage with synthetic was it's ability to withstand higher temperatures and it's ability to not break down as fast as traditional oils.
Joel McGregor