<VV> Retorquing Heads

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Jul 22 13:44:23 EDT 2012

We retorque lower head studs when doing o-rings, and at times I also
check the upper studs. Since you are resealing, you will be doing the
lowers anyway, so change the socket and check the uppers while you are
there. Go for the lower torque value on the uppers, as there is no
reason to disturb the rusty threads if they are not loose. Of course one
may argue that the rusty nuts will affect the torque reading of the
upper studs, so you are really just checking to see if things are really
loose! And don't cause more headaches by loosening the upper nuts first.
Only do that when removing the heads.

Don't forget to deflash the heads while it is open. Remove mouse nests, etc.

Frank DuVal