<VV> Hillman Imp (no Corvair)

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Jun 9 15:32:08 EDT 2012

Seth's Notes inside!

Bill Strickland  writes:

Still  have a wire-wheeled, disc braked 1960 Morris Minor 1000 Traveler
(woody  wagon) -- I have a "bud" that keeps after me to hot rod & restore
it  -- last time it was moved, it ran and stopped under it's own power
(the  stopping part is truly amazing, if you've ever owned BMC you
understand).

The "ran" part is equally amazing!

Learned to drive in one of Dad's MMs and have always had or  owned one
(also have a Bug-eye).  First car I "owned" myself was a  1960 Corvair.

My sister had a bugeye Sprite - I did the brakes on that one.

Hillman wagons were not uncommon in our local area -- were they  Manx's?

Actually, it was the "Hillman Minx"

My mother had a Minx Convertible - with a Hobbs' electric transmission.
Typical British electrics, as well. If the battery wasn't fully charged, the
engaging clutch wouldn't function, and you went nowhere! However, in typical
 British fashion, you could remove a plug under the hood, turn it over and
plug  it back in, and the clutch was now always engaged. Warm it up and pop
it into  gear and drive on home!

I took my drivers test in that car, Very easy to parallel park!  -  Seth
Emerson