<VV> THE HILLMAN IMP

Arlette Pat arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 9 22:57:33 EDT 2012

Hi everyone, It's not often that I can offer much to Virtual Vairs as Corvairs of any description are a rare find down under here in Australia. However the Hillman Imp is one vehicle that was sold in Australia and in quite reasonable numbers. As many of you will already know the front end styling of the Hillman Imp following closely 1960-64 Chevrolet Corvair styling but without dual headlamps. In Australia the Hillman Imp was sold as a cheap entry level car selling at the time directly against the VW beetle, Morris Mini Minor. Not long after its introduction in 1964 it was also offered in GT form. The Hillman Imp GT had a more powerful engine, carpeted floors and additional external body trim. It was considered quite advanced, but the survival rate has not been good and they are a rare sight on Australian roads in 2012. They were never really valued and often had a hard life as student transport etc. Added to this was the fact that Chrysler took over the maker of the Hillman Imp which was Roots Group in 1968 and then started to close down the brands of Humber, Sunbeam, Hillman, Singer and Commer trucks. I came close to owning a Hillman Imp as my first car but my first car ended up being a VW beetle. I think I still have the original dealer supplied sales literature in my collection for the Hillman Imp and Hillman GT Imp. Thats about all I can add, but would be happy to provide further information on the Hillman Imp if anyone is interested. On another note I will not be attending the 2012 CORSA Convention. I did attend in 2010 and 2011 conventions but hope those of you who attend this year have a great time. Regards Carl L. KelsenRHD black  1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza convertibleRHD black  1962 Chevrolet Impala (export) Sport SedanRHD black  1983 Cadillac Eldorado BiarritzRHD black  2002 Rover 75 Connessoiur SE sedan Melbourne, Victoria, Australia