<VV> Rootes (No Corvair)

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jun 10 00:43:02 EDT 2012

In a message dated 6/9/2012 9:32:14 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ronh at owt.com writes:

That  brings to mind the despicable act of the Chrysler Corporation in
Purchasing Roots Motors and then promptly shutting them down.  I  can't
imagine what they gained by doing that as it must have cost them a  lot and
with no visible return.  Maybe that's why I never liked  Chrysler as I had
Sunbeam Minx at the time and I still have an  Alpine.
RonH

To me, though, the funny part was how they handled the Sunbeam Tiger!  The
Tiger II has just come out, with the 289 Ford motor (replacing the 260
Ford). Chrysler, upon buying Rootes, extended their 5 yr 50,000 mile warrantee
to all the Rootes products, including the Tiger. So the Sunbeam Tiger II
had 5 yr/ 50,000 warrantee on the motor, like the rest of the car. Ford only
warranteed the motor for two years in every other car it was installed - at
the  time! Thanks Chrysler!!  Soon after, Chrysler solved all that by
dumping  Rootes, at least in the US. The Plymouth dealer around here brought in a
bunch  of Simcas at about that time, too. Those imports, at the time, served
to remind  us how good our American cars were - at the time. The imports
had the strangest  smelling plastic interiors, two hours in the California
sun, you had to air out  the interior before you could drive it.  Old memories
of smells are  pervasive!