<VV> Good quote for the day! - A bit of Corvair

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Jun 14 11:17:21 EDT 2012

"Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection  is
demoralizing."

--Harriet Braiker,
American psychologist and  writer

Also expressed as: "Better" is the enemy of "good-enough".

It has often struck me, as I have worked on my Corvairs, and my  other
cars, that there are things that could have been built better than they  were
actually assembled and delivered. But then I look at my own projects  and note
that, the planning and incorporation of new ideas can often  cause a
project to drag on and on, and not get completed! There is a famous  cartoon that
has been posted on the wall of many a Manufacturing office. It  shows an
older Engineering design/Mechanical drawing table, with a dead engineer
sprawled across it, and a man standing behind him with a smoking gun. The  caption
says:

 "There comes a time when you have to shoot the engineers  and begin
production!"

At some point, Ed Cole must have walked into the Chevy  Engineering
offices, shot the engineers (Virtually, of course!) and ordered the  1960 Corvair
into production.

Seth Emerson - former Manufacturing engineer