<VV> Broken Starter Nose

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Thu Jun 21 12:13:16 EDT 2012

I'm sure we will get different opinions but my experience in Texas heat with Corvairs is that when you run them on a hot day and get them really warm, the gas boils out of the carbs and floods the engine when you shut it off.  If it sits overnight the gas evaporates and all is good except the carbs have to fill back up for it to start.  If you try to restart it at the wrong time it's flooded, the carbs are empty and the chokes have closed.  Cranking with the throttle wide open is the only way to get it to start and that's assuming your linkage on the chokes is adjusted properly so when the throttle is wide open it kicks the chokes open.  I've thought about mounting an electric fan on the deck lid on my earlies with a timer that runs the fan for a while after the engine is off to cool things down.
Granted all this is going on with cars that have a lot of miles and heads that haven't been de-flashed.
Joel McGregor

From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org [virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Byron Comp [byron.comp at yahoo.com]
Subject: Re: <VV> Broken Starter Nose

Man, I sure hope that's not the case with mine. I'd rather take the blame than to think that the new clutch and flywheel, both heavy duty from Clark's, are suspect.

With an ambient temp of 97-98 here in Northeast PA yesterday, I took the Monza for a 100+ mile cruise. When we stopped for lunch, it wouldn't restart again. Don't know if it was vapor locked or flooded. I tried everything I knew, but the only thing I succeeded in doing was in running the battery down. Finally called for road service through my Hagerty insurance and a fellow "Chevy lover" came out and provided enough extra juice from a jump that I could get it running. It did act like it was flooded (black smoke) when it finally started.

Never a dull moment. It was way too hot to be out running around anyway, even with the top down.

Byron Comp
'64 Monza Vert
Williamsport, PA