<VV> A/C Update

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 00:09:01 EDT 2012

                                                                  B"H
Hi guys, the saga continues.  I got the turkey roaster off, and found more of that nasty shredded stuff (again I'm sure its the engine lid insulation) packed in each corner of the engine, and some was stuffed in between the cylinders and fins.  Not a huge amount, but a fair amount.
I cleaned it all out, then proceeded to check the heads and found some casting that I removed. I got the heads pretty cleaned up, then I (innocently) proceeded to attempt to replace the "fresh air hose" that runs from the front (behind the rear seat area) shield to the top of the turkey roaster.  You know, that funny rectangular hose.  Since the A/C condenser is blocking where the hose comes into the engine, bay, I remove the condenser.  The original fabric hose was torn to shreds.  Not sure what it does, but possibly routes cool air to the engine?  Thirty years of leaves, and crud are packed in behind the condenser.  And the entire area is just as filthy.
I had no idea that hose reaches SO FAR BACK behind the shrouds/shields!  I kept following it until I found the plenum where it attaches.  I removed the metal lip that holds the rubber seal in place at the front of the engine bay, then reached under the rubber and worked for a couple of hours, but finally got the new hose on!
Now the engine bay looks like one of those ebay Corvairs that "hasn't run in 30 years, barn find" with shrouds off, condenser not attached, more crud that needs to be cleaned up.
But I do see a light at the end of the tunnel.  New accelerator boot (old one torn), new "fresh air" hose, new carb gaskets, and new heater hoses (both 4" hoses torn and unattached, one dragging on the half-shaft) and lots of cleaning, eventually I hope to get it all back together.
Good night folks, I'm tired and my wrists are cut and sore from getting that hose one...Bill Hershkowitz 66 Monza 110 PG A/C