<VV> Screws and bolts

Harry Yarnell hyarnell1 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 26 20:07:12 EDT 2012

How 'bout 6-32 SCREWS?
A 1/4-20 is a bolt.

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Monasterio
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:58 PM
To: Harry Yarnell; VirtualVairs
Subject: Re: <VV> Screws and bolts

So what are 1/4"-20... bolts or screws ?I grew up knowing all machine
threaded ones (those which accept machined nuts) as bolts and those commonly
used on sheet metal (non machined threads or self threading) as screws.
Could be wrong but any time and at every place I ask for a bolt (tornillo in
my place) they show me what I know as a bolt. Same for screws (pijas in my
place).Even the numbered nomenclature is different. 1/4"-20 means a bolt and
#6-1 1/2" means an screw. They don`t sell screws by a measured
diameter.Resuming what The Machinery's Handbook, 23 Revised Edition says
near the end of  page 1277 , a bolt can accept a nut, an screw can't but, if
that bolt is inserted into a machined hole and tightened by it's head, it is
an screw.If I understood well, a 1/4"-20 fastener is a bolt if used and
tightened with a nut but, an screw if inserted on a threaded hole
(technically a nut to me) and tightened by the head.Concluding......
?????????
As you say.... just my 2 pennies.
Daniel Monasterio