<VV> Mice and schrews

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Jun 27 16:41:28 EDT 2012

The real question is what are those things that have a hex head and a Phillips?  Some have machined threads and some don't.  Now what?  I guess I'm going to have to start hiring out all my work...
And what about the clutch head things that EMs and FCs have?  Some of them have machined threads and some don't if memory serves me.
What happens if you use a bolt where a screw goes?  I'll bet that is why those top covers are loosening up.
Joel McGregor
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org [virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Smitty [vairologist at cox.net]
Subject: <VV> Mice and schrews

Smitty says, this is all very well and good.  WE are getting input of an
official variety that carries somewhat of duo-national weight.  This still
leaves a burning question of great importance.  If a screw is over 1/4 inch
but has no machined threads is it still a screw.  By some peoples theory, if
you screw it into a blind hole , it is a screw?  I have a box of 5/16
fasteners with hex heads on them. I always called them  bolts.  Lag Bolts.
But when I need one I screw it right into a blind hole.  Is it then a lag
screw?  I am becoming incapacitated with indecision..