<VV> carburetor and starting issue

James Cooper cooperj123 at msn.com
Thu Mar 1 15:30:57 EST 2012

I have just installed two new carbs and made all the adjustments but the car is doing something strange.  I can go out as I did this morning and it will start fine when cold, warm up, shut down and restart with no issues.   If I let the car sit for a couple of hours it will not restart and acts as though it is flooded, it will eventually start if I hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking, but not easily.  And then when it does start it stumbles and farts around horribly until it clears itself and then runs normal.I do know that my right carb linkage has a groove worn in it and this has made my synchronizing mediocre at best, I do have a new linkage on the way.Is it possible that the carbs could be flooding the engine just sitting there??  Or do I have some more synchronizing and adjusting to do that is the likely culprit?  I replaced the fuel lines with new, installed a new inline fuel filter.  The mechanical fuel pump was "loose" in its mounting and I snugged up the mount bolt for it.   When it runs. it runs nicely and goes down the road fine, but I can't drive it like this and get stuck everywhere.Jim