<VV> carburetor and starting issue

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Mar 1 17:03:09 EST 2012

New carbs? New to that car, rebuilt, yourself, vendor???

If NOS, I know what the trouble is. ggg

I would check the choke unloader adjustment. Having to hold the throttle to
the floor (and make sure when you hold the throttle to the floor, the choke
unloaders are actually working) is common for a warm start on my cars...
Cause is usually fuel percolation, leaking needle/seat assemblies that
allow fuel into intake manifold until fuel pressure goes down, or, more
uncommon, car parked uphill and needle/seat assemblies are leaking fuel
into the intke manifold when parked until fuel level in tank goes below
carbs. Usually results in fuel dillution in crankcase!

Groove in shaft is not the cause, unless it interferes with choke unloader
operation.

If the problem exists with black smoke out the tailpipe, then it is
flooding when parked.

Frank DuVal